Thursday, May 31, 2012

What a weekend!

It was a rough memorial day weekend for us. I've been working on a keyhole garden to grow veggies in. We had to move a pile of dirt from the pile (which is still humongous) to the garden itself. It (the garden) is 6 foot diameter and three feet deep. The bottom is full of grass clippings and other compostables. Now there is a deep layer of good top soil in it too. I'm a bit late getting to the planting, in between building it and filling it, I have had to rest my back, I just can't do the kind of work I used to. A long rest is required in between these little chores so my back doesn't hurt all the time. I have a tomato plant ready to go in, but I'll need help lifting it, I started it in February, now it is nearly 5 foot high, its one of those indeterminate height plants. really I should put it in there, It is made more for squash lettuce and herbs and other things. Will get it planted this weekend for sure, it will be late, but I can make a plastic cover for it to extend the growing season. Next year I will get it started earlier and have longer to grow things.

At this moment I am learning to type with a bandaid on my finger, I cut myself doing dishes. I forgot that I had used a knife earlier in the day, it reminded me,  ouch!

I made a chocolate cake on Sunday, chocolate cookie sheet cake (the best chocolate cake ever), I'd lost the recipe for years and found it in my antique sewing machine. I got the machine out to clean it and oil it and start looking for accessories for it. I want to start using it. It is generally the back up for my Pfaff. I'm cleaning my sewing room again too, it gets emptier and emptier and I can almost walk around it like I should be able to. I really want to start sewing again, I have a couple of things cut out to make, I just have no room to work yet. It will change, I am determined to get it done.

As for the cake, it is delicious and I may get around to posting the recipe on here. I have no idea where it came from, someone else gave it to me and didn't say where they got it. I've become increasingly eager to collect a few good recipes that I can rely on for special things.

Next post, I'll try for some pictures, I did this time, and they didn't turn out, I haven't taken any for a long time, now I have to learn to use the camera again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home