Thursday, February 08, 2007

Is it Art?

I do wonder sometimes at what people call fiber art. I've looked at some of the free form fiber art and it looks like a pile of p***. I mean even the colors are awful. And this thing with free form hats-I mean, does anyone ever wear them? I am old fashioned I guess-I like a hat that is a hat, one that will either keep you warm or one that will shade you from the sun. If it does not fulfill one of those functions its useless. I've never cared much for fashion statements I guess-though I did wear purple tied dyed jeans when I was in high school. Jeans are functional though, regardless of color. Very little of what goes as art really appeals to me.

Speaking of art, if you get a chance, check out some of knitowls drawings
-they are great. They really tell a story or make you feel something. That's what art is supposed to do-invoke a feeling. She also makes some darn cute little soft toys. She sells those on Etsy-I think. She gave me an idea to make a dream bag. You know to keep under my pillow with the things and symbols in,so I can find some answers to my life in my dreams.

Anyway-back to drawing. I can draw, but I have an awful time giving it life. My drawings are usually just flattish with little life, I think that's why I do the fractals. I can compose with them-I am thinking of painting some of them. Taking some of the ones that I make on the computer and putting them on canvas. I was always better with geometric forms than creating things. How I wish that my Mother and Father had allowed me to pursue Art instead of business. I was never cut out to follow a business career, but during that time, girls usually had a choice of homemaker or secretory or schoolteacher. And believe it or not I was a fairly obedient daughter. You know-chicken! At least that is how I look at it now. If only........ You girls don't know how lucky you are to have it the way you do today. You have so much more freedom to be what you want to be. I guess I'll go do some dishes and make some more fractals and work on the crocheted cardigan that I started a couple of days ago-only 40 squares left to do!! And give some thought to the painting I want to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home