Friday, April 11, 2008

Stuff and Stuff

I started another book last night,after finishing all of Anne McCaffrey's Tower and Hive series. I've read the tower and the Hive series several times, so this next book was a complete change for me, all my life I've heard about Henry David Thoreau, but never read anything by him. A couple of weeks ago a copy of Walden fell into my hands, and I have been reading a little of it and already started thinking of some about it. It's such a perfect description of the way life is for the world today even though it was written a hundred years ago. We are so greedy. Wanting more than we need. I am beginning to understand a little of it. My house is crammed with stuff I don't need, and can't wear and never look at, but it is so hard to turn loose of-I might want/need it. They say if you don't use it after a year to get rid of it, but that's easier said then done. I feel somehow bound to earth by my things. Somehow I am going to find the way change that for myself. Maybe by the time I finish the book I will have the answer. It can't hurt.

While I am at it here's a fun, educational and very interesting link http://www.storyofstuff.com/. I enjoyed it, that was not easy, being on dialup. It took me over and hour to download the whole thing. If you are on something faster-it won't take more than a youtube video. This is the short story of the stuff we buy, the stuff we make, the stuff we throw away and the stuff we keep crammed into our houses. It gives a whole new meaning to consumerism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home