Wednesday, December 26, 2012

After Yule or Christmas to some

A post after Christmas, We had a pretty good one, we don't really celebrate Christmas here, it's just not one of the important holidays for us. We are much more apt to celebrate each other's birthdays. I love a birthday present, just don't care much for the all out commercialization of Christmas. My hubby and I took some fresh made fudge over to his Mom's house and got out of there as soon as the smoke got to us, we don't smoke and they do, and it nearly kills us to breathe it, baths were all that saved us when we got home. We just couldn't stand the smell of cigarettes.

We had a nice dinner, just the three of us, including the cat and kicked back for the rest of the day, surfing the net and eating fudge and watching televison, I crocheted on my large afghan that will be for the bed this time. I saw these little squares on a french blog and decided to redo the larger ones I was working on.

The color is not really true, the purple ones are much deeper in color, it's my camera and the tan looking ones are really called pistachio. I am using burgundy, purple and greens and golds in it, with enough odd colors thrown in to add variety, The hubbs asked how many I will need, and it turns out I will probably need about 400 give or take, probably take another hundred. I want the afghan to be big enough and heavy enough to last for years.


I'm using an "E" hook with worsted weight simply soft, It will have a tight gauge. I really like the way that the squares look, I know it will be a pain to put them together, but I'm weaving the tails as I go so there won't be so many when It's done.

I've been to the flea market a few times, actually they call themselves antique malls here now, but they are still flea markets, to me anyway. I picked up some yarn at one stall, Six skeins of various shads of pink from knit picks lace weight yarns. It was $12 for six skeins, which is a really good price. It's enough to make at least two large shawls. I never thought of myself as a pink person, but I really like this yarn.

The small wound ball is mostly silk, it is so soft.
The others are mostly alpaca and merino.  I added it to what I already have in my stash, though I don't plan on it staying there.

Earlier in the  year we had a fiber fair out at Crowder college, I managed to cough up for two skeins of pure Alpaca in a finger weight yarn. One is a skein of brown painted and the other in purple of course.

I am not sure I can wear it next to my skin, so I got enough to make a couple of scarves or mini shawls to test it out, The brown is colored with all the shades of chocolate and the purple is a lot prettier than my monitor shows. I also managed to buy about 20 Crochet Today and Crochet with three Interweave Crochet magazines thrown in, for about $4. They were 25 cents a piece and I just couldn't pass it up. Two or three weeks later I got another 30 or so Magic Crochet on sale for about 20 cents a piece. I felt really lucky, some are getting given a way. They are in really good shape, almost new, and were in still in the mailing wrappers. I was going to add even more to this post but think I will break it up and do another one. Can you tell I love Yarn and Crochet magazines? When I get done with this post, I'll probably go back to work on the aforementioned afghan. Any way, back to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home