Saturday, July 29, 2006

Weaving

I have warped my loom and started some fabric for a vest. It's a 20 inch rigid heddle loom. One of the simplest looms there is to operate. I had a four harness loom, but had to sell it several years ago. It took up too much room. I love these Rigid heddle looms though and just couldn't part with them. I am using the 20 inch, but have a 24 inch and a 32 inch as well as a childs 10 inch loom. I use the childs loom for bands to trim the fabric I make on the larger loom. I am using Beka looms, they still make the smaller sizes but not the 32. When I bought them I felt silly buying so many extra heddles and spare parts, but now am glad I did. I had to modify something from the larger one to fit the smaller one. Its fourtunate that I have extra parts. I contacted Beka though and they said if I need something they can still make it for me-that made me happy. But the parts cost more than when I got these. It took me longer to dig all the parts out of the shed than to actually get started weaving again.

I still have a womping big stack of magazines and books for them-most are out of print. I did finally learn that for me personally, it is easier to use a longer narrow warp, than a short double width one. Not as hard to beat down the weft. And easier on my back when I am actually doing the warping. The small looms also have a different stand so it's easier for me to sit in front of one. I used a warping short cut too and that helped a lot.

The little black kitten"DC" is doing great, she is so hyper that we can't keep up with her and neither can poor "Little Grey" She hides from"DC" sometimes, and then I'm on my own. They got a huge new litter box today and it made them both happy. Its wider and deeper than the old one-and that makes me happy. I got tired of sweeping up the floor for them all the time. I shall finish this post and get off the puter-I want to go weave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home