Friday, January 25, 2008

Making things

I have this thing about not buying whatever I can make. Right now I've been making those tiny looms you see-like weavettes only homemade. I made a couple similiar to the one Noreen Crone Findlay makes too. I need to read the instructions better though, the looms I made were correct in proportion but half the size on one of them. It doesn't matter though, I'll just be able to make tinier animals and things. The others are square and rectangular and yes I decorated them-had to varnish them this morning. The can was only open for a few minutes but I've already got a headache and it's too cold to do this outside. I tried to use the acrylic varnish like for paintings-but it doesn't work all that well. Maybe I'll try to find something later that will work better. I got carried away when I painted one of my handspindles though-I painted it all gold. Too many fairy tails I guess. It's pretty but the color doesn't make it spin better. I have to put one more coat on them and that should do it. I really hate to buy the mass produced things anymore. I'd rather spend the money on things made by americans-but can't always, so I do it myself. Also made a nostpinde out of an old candle snuffer handle-really pretty wood turned and all. I took the nasty stain put on it off and found out it had this really neat white, red and black wood under it. It looks nifty now. With the pretty woodgrain showing. Its small but I rarely use center pull balls-they are always tangling up. Next do it yourself project is my dressmaker maniquin-it really needs to be covered.

Right now it's dishes again and have to decide what to fix for dinner tonight. I run dry periodically of ideas and have to really think about it. In the meantime I think I'll do some reading after the dishes- I am reading Federation by H. Beam Piper. It's really good. It's too bad he isn't around to write some more of them. Well that's all for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home